Aficionados of any era can be absolutists, and mid-century modern enthusiasts aren’t exempt. Some are fierce proponents of designs by Scandinavian masters like Hans Wegner, Grete Jalk, Folke Ohlsson and Arne Jacobsen. Some embrace the American icons including Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, Paul McCobb, and Florence Knoll among others.
So it’s fitting that one of the design giants of the mid-century modern era bridges the two. Jens Risom (b. 1916 – d. 2016) was a Danish-born but largely American-based creator of some the most iconic modernist furniture forms. From his early collaborations with Knoll to success with his own company, Risom created a design vocabulary that resonates today.
Risom emigrated from Denmark to the United States in the late 1930s and set out on what was to become a storied career in his adopted country. He was the first in-house designer for Knoll, opened and operated his own Jens Risom Designs for 25 years, and in his 90s until he died was a designer for Design Within Reach.
Risom designs have long been a part of our repertoire so we were excited to bring together a small collection of his pieces in our showroom in early 2022. All of them were rejuvenated in a manner that honors his original vision for each. Included in our Winter 2022 collection (browse our showcase section for currently available pieces) are:
- Group R case pieces adapted with custom made walnut bases
- T 621 low table/bench in walnut
- C 142 armchair with upholstered seat and back in walnut | SOLD
- U 250 armless three-seat sofa with walnut base | SOLD
- U 350 easy chair with ottoman with walnut bases | SOLD
- Walnut and leather nightstand/accent table pair | SOLD
We have a steady pipeline of Jens Risom Design pieces coming through our doors. Visit the showcase section on our website periodically to see what’s available.
- Architectural Digest: “Jens Risom’s Iconic Midcentury Modern Furniture, Revisited”
- Jens Risom on Wikipedia with additional links